There is something deeply nostalgic about blackberries for me. As a kid we never bought the berries they were always picked. They were grabbed along the sides of trails by my grandparents house in Nova Scotia and beside the dirt road that led to the cottage. We found them on hiking trips and they covered the sides of rivers we canoed down in Maine. Blackberries taste like summer vacation and freedom, and they taste a little bit like the fear of bears.
Blackberries might be my favourite berry but I feel pretty strongly that they shouldn’t be turned into anything fussy, blackberries should be rustic and simple and mostly just show off how perfect they are just on their own.
For me this blackberry slump is just the ticket. The berries are cooked until they just start to get soft and the pastry on the top both gets crisp and soaks up the juice and turns into something that tastes like home.
4 cups Blackberries
1 cup Sugar
2 tbsp Corn Starch
3/4 cup AP Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
4 tbsp Chilled Butter
3-4 tbsp Buttermilk
3 tbsp Coarse Sugar
Preheat the oven to 375F
In a 8 inch casserole dish mix the blackberries, sugar and corn starch.
In a separate bowl mix the remaining dry ingredients except the coarse sugar. Add in the butter and break it into pea sized pieces.
Carefully mix in the buttermilk adding more if necessary until the dough is quite soft. Do not over mix.
Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and with your fingers press the dough into the shape of the casserole dish.
Place the dough on top of the fruit and sprinkle the sugar on top.
Bake the slump for 45 minutes or until the sugar on top has started to caramelize, and the blackberries have started bubbling up around the edges.
- red-green-goddess reblogged this from justsomethingpretty
- rachelribena reblogged this from poodforn
- manic-pixie-whatthefuck likes this
- aplacetokeepfood reblogged this from poodforn
- thinkimacontra likes this
- waltzingmatildablog likes this
- forever-a-fitty likes this
- thehalcyondays reblogged this from poodforn
- bremariesblog likes this
- spingsping likes this
- nighthaunting likes this
- yourdinh reblogged this from poodforn
- chandraleila likes this
- lovelustanddesire likes this
- karekarina likes this
- shebelongsinthetardis reblogged this from poodforn
- flames-and-arrows likes this
- fakegurucomplex likes this
- iharlee likes this
- darndiddlydoodly reblogged this from poodforn
- flowerchild1895 likes this
- pillowah likes this
- moinapahki reblogged this from soussousweet
- carrimax likes this
- soussousweet reblogged this from poodforn
- soussousweet likes this
- anna-logy reblogged this from poodforn
- poodforn reblogged this from justsomethingpretty
- justsomethingpretty posted this