One of the best parts about being a baker is that at Christmas time instead of getting socks, or bottles of wine that only last an evening, people buy you kitchen stuff. Stuff that most people would never use, and stuff that you might not be able to justify buying yourself. Things like vintage bundt pans and ice cream scoops, or teflon scoops that are only to be used for scooping out dry ingredients. And the pans. The one use kind of pans that are hard to spend money on because you know you’ll only use them a couple times a year. I have lots of those.
I have a mini baked donut pan that I got last year. I mean the name says it all doesn’t it? You can only make it if you want baked donuts and you want them mini. I don’t think I have that urge all that often, but yesterday morning I was very happy to have such a pan because it made these little numbers.
Here’s the thing about baked donuts. People always say at the top of recipes that it’s just like the fried ones and you can’t tell the difference. And I am going to tell you these are not just like the fried ones. The fried ones are yeasted and take ages and then you have to heat up a gallon of oil on your stove top. And you can produce incredible donuts like that, but you also have to be very aware and awake at a very early time if you want donuts on Saturday morning.
I do not like frying things on my stove top that early. I just don’t.
One of these days I will do this for you, but in the meantime you can have these. These aren’t crispy and light the way a fried donut is, because it’s not fried. But it is bright and citrus-y and the hint of cinnamon makes them taste a tiny bit like the cinnamon sugar donuts you get at a fair. They are not fried but that does not stop them being delicious. Which is why you’ll notice that because their so tiny you haven’t noticed how just how many you’ve shoved in your mouth!
Lemon Glazed Baked Mini Donuts
1 cup AP Flour
1/2 cup Sugar
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
3 tbsp Yoghurt or Buttermilk
3 tbsp Melted Butter, plus more for pans
1 cup Icing sugar
1-2 tbsp Lemon Juice
Zest of 1 lemon
Preheat the oven to 400F
Grease pans very well- there isn’t much fat in this recipe and they will stick. Even if it’s a non stick pan.
Mix the wet ingredients in a bowl and whisk until they get a bit frothy and are pretty well emulsified. Mix the dry ingredients in a larger bowl.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until barely combined.
Put the batter in a piping bag or a ziploc bag with the end cut off and pipe the batter about half way up the pans.
Bake for 7-10 minutes until the outsides are starting to get brown and when you push the top it springs right back at you.
Let them sit in the pan for another couple minutes before carefully easing them out of the pans. Hopefully you greased yours more than me, because mine took some serious work to get them out.
Let them cool.
Meanwhile make the glaze:
Mix all the ingredients together. Yup, that’s it.
Once the donuts are cooled drizzle the glaze on top and dig in!
- lushingken reblogged this from justsomethingpretty
- rayebug likes this
- nihilnovisubsole likes this
- thedrunkenrat likes this
- firaxa likes this
- thatmurderousasshole likes this
- gethadept likes this
- galacticdrugdealer reblogged this from poodforn
- findingmywonderfullywanderingway likes this
- thenaiveone likes this
- shetalkstobees likes this
- thinkimacontra reblogged this from poodforn
- lietlite likes this
- middendorp likes this
- pandaadog likes this
- paisleydarts likes this
- mockingbirdmomma reblogged this from gastrogirl
- cannnibalisticsandwich reblogged this from poodforn and added:
- cannnibalisticsandwich likes this
- clndelacruz likes this
- ponistar likes this
- embracenegativespace likes this
- dontfreakmyboat reblogged this from poodforn
- girlpasse reblogged this from gastrogirl
- galactic-opal likes this
- allisontaslim likes this
- danie-likes-double-stuffed-oreos likes this
- riraki likes this
- sojustyi likes this
- an-oceanic-summer likes this
- cocoacatastrophe likes this
- lapin-ou likes this
- writesomemore likes this
- ladykoko likes this
- lastallianceofelvesandmen likes this
- britsyho likes this
- -monstruo likes this
- justyouraveragecomplicatedgirl reblogged this from poodforn
- justyouraveragecomplicatedgirl likes this
- geannehernandez likes this
- kaayyeahs reblogged this from khalrhaego
- khalrhaego reblogged this from thedisassociation
- lauren0utloud likes this
- yanda18 reblogged this from justsomethingpretty
- katoxstar likes this
- madironi likes this
- donna-maryse reblogged this from gastrogirl
- piccolaluna reblogged this from gastrogirl